1. The history of this building contains a twenty-year period when it served the needs of the military. To a greater extent, it is known as the Burta family mansion, one of the wealthiest families of Izmail from the late XIX – early XX centuries.
From 1940 to 1960, the Headquarters of the air defense sector of the Danube Naval Flotilla, under the leadership of Vasily Matveyev, was here. After the disbanding of the Danube Naval Flotilla, the mansion was used as a private dwelling.
2. In 1940 through the first half of 1941, this building housed the HQ of the 96th separate air squadron of the Danube Naval Flotilla under the command of Captain Alexander Korobitsyn. On June 22, 1941, the first day of the invaders’ attack, the pilots of the squadron shot down five enemy planes over Izmail. During one of the enemy raids, a bomb hit the eastern part of the building, where a new extension was subsequently built.
After the disbanding of the Danube Naval Flotilla, the building was converted into residential apartments.
3. After the liberation of the region, the building of the former territorial office of the Agrarian Chamber of Royal Romania was transferred to the rear service of the Danube Naval Flotilla (116th River Brigade), which housed “The Seagull” kindergarten for children of military sailors. With the liquidation of the last naval unit in the city, the kindergarten belonged to the Border Service of Ukraine, becoming the only preschool institution in the country.
Today the building hosts the Center for the social and psychological rehabilitation of children.
4. At the beginning of the XX century, the office of the mayor and founder of the city, Lieutenant General Sergei Tuchkov was located there.
The Danube Naval Flotilla was located in this building from 1944 to 1960. At the same time, on the right side of the building, was the House of Navy Officers.
Subsequently, the headquarters of the 116th Red Banner brigade of river ships of the USSR Navy, and then the Navy of independent Ukraine could be found at this location.
5. The new building of the former Officers’ Club of the Danube Naval Flotilla, built in 1954, has survived practically unchanged to this day.
This complex included a club with a hall for 320 seats, a small lecture hall, classrooms, a library, and a summer theater. It was a popular leisure place for Izmail residents – Soviet celebrities such as Wolf Messing, Nina Sazonova, Larisa Golubkina and many others were welcomed here. The facade is still decorated with bas-reliefs of Russian and Soviet naval commanders and military leaders.
Today the private school “Stezhinka” and the community of Evangelical Christians Baptists are based here.
6. This building from the Romanian period was used by the Social Insurance Office, a territorial subdivision of the Romanian Ministry of Social Policy.
After 1944, the hospital of the Danube Naval Flotilla was located here, and after the disbanding of it – the hospital of the Izmail military garrison.
Today, there is a stationary department of the medical and sanitary unit of the State Border Service of Ukraine, but the building is still referred to as just – “the Hospital”.
7. In 1949, “BK-134”, a small armoured river-boat (the former name – “Hero of the Soviet Union Krasnoselsky”), was excluded from the Navy and used as a training ship. In 1967, this so-called “riverine tank” was installed as a monument that reflects the courage of not a single ship, but the whole Danube Naval Flotilla, that played a very important role in the liberation of the Danube Delta from the German-Romanian troops in August 1944.
8. On the territory of the Old Military Cemetery, the burials were carried out for soldiers of the Russian army, who presumably died of wounds in the Izmail hospital during the Russian-Turkish war of 1877-1878. During WWI, the bodies of the Entente servicemen – Russians, Romanians, and French – were buried here. The “Cult of Heroes” Society, created in the city, decided to perpetuate the memory of the warriors and heroes who died on this territory. Here is the restored “Monument to Heroes” with an eagle on its top.