1. At the end of the XIX century this entire quarter was occupied by a Carting Office. In a building at the corner of Suvorov Avenue and Gogol Street was the office owner’s mansion.
There is an old building next to it, a brick warehouse for fodder (feed for horses). It is worth mentioning that here you can see a brick with the date “1879” and an ancient gate leading to the basement.
The Carting Office existed for only about 10 years, unable to withstand the growing competition, and the new owner created the first private printing house in Izmail. To this day, the communal printing house is still located in this building.
2. At the end of the XIX century, one of the most beautiful mansions of Izmail belonged to Izmail Mayor Fyodor Tulchianov. One of the streets, the mansion faces, was named after Mayor Tulchianov.
During the domination of Romania, when the quarter was built up by the Diocesan (church) administration, this house was given to the abbot’s estate. Before being sold to private property in 2017, it hosted the maternity hospital, the gendarme legion, the NKVD department and the inpatient department of the dermatovenous dispensary.
3. The old mansion of the late 19th century, located in a busy part of Izmail, was built for the famous merchant Joachim Avraamov, a member of the city Communal Council.
Presumably after the October Revolution of 1917, the owners of the house left the city and from the Romanian period until the 1950s, the building hosted financial institutions – first, the Izmail branch of the National Bank of Romania, and then the branch of the State Bank of the USSR.
Today, it houses one of 6 museums on the territory of the former Soviet Union, dedicated to Alexander Suvorov, a great military commander, with whose name our city is closely connected.
4. Sadova Street is the smallest street in Izmail and at the same time one of the oldest. It got its name from the English-style garden laid out in front of it.
The appearance of the street was associated with the growth of trade and it was occupied by merchant shops, warehouses, parking lots and temporary dwellings.
Over time, Jewish merchants bought all the shops on the street, which entailed negative consequences – the black hundredists, with the unofficial approval of the government, committed pogroms against revolutionary groups and against the Jews.
The street turned into ruins by the beginning of the 20th century. Only one of the buildings has survived to this day in its original form with columns – a house with stores at the beginning of the street under No. 2, built in 1832.
5. The post office building was built presumably in 1813, when buildings of prime importance were being built to organize the administration of the city government.
At that time, in the city named after its mayor Sergei Tuchkov, distances to other settlements were counted from this building, which served as a kind of “zero kilometer”.
6. This building is a monument of history and architecture of local significance, built at the end of the XIX century. There was a gymnasium for mostly wealthy citizens. By the beginning of the XX century it was transformed into a full men’s gymnasium, named after Alexander Suvorov. The inscriptions left by its students at that time are still visible on the walls of the building.
Up until 2020, the Izmail Institute of Water Transport, a private institute, operated there.
7. One of the most beautiful buildings of Suvorov Avenue is the building of the former city council of the early XIX century. In the Romanian period, the mayor’s office operated from here. Residents of the city call it the “Palace of Pioneers”, recalling the 1980-90s, and since then, it has maintained its profile to this day, but as a Center for extracurricular activities and children’s creativity.